Indian Way Of Baby Shower Ceremony
Congratulation!! on your journey to parenthood.
We all have heard and celebrated Baby Shower of new married couples. It's no less than a small festival for the family of the new couples who are about to welcome a little baby into this world.
We Indians love celebrating such movements in our life, getting back family, friends, relatives all together having fun, eating some delicious foods, receiving gifts and blessings for the little baby to come.
What is Baby Shower Ceremony?
Baby Shower is an old age tradition across the world celebrated during pregnancy of the new mother and blessing the unborn little baby as the family prepares to welcome him/her into this world.
Baby Shower also is known as Godh Bharai in the east. In India, Baby Shower is known from different names like Seemanthamin in Karnataka, Valakappu in Tamil Nadu, Shaad in Bengali, Dohalejewan in Maharashtra and Shrimant in Gujarat.etc. In the Hindi language, the word Godh bharai translates to "filling up the lap".
Some culture celebrates Baby Shower on each pregnancy, were as some culture only do it during the first pregnancy of the new mother-to-be.
Which month to celebrate Baby Shower?
Baby Shower is celebrated during the last three month of pregnancy as it is believed that both the mother and the baby are now in a stable and safe phase. Mostly done either in the seventh or ninth month of pregnancy, but many cultures follow the seventh-month rule as it is best for both mother and baby.
The ninth month can be a little too hectic for the mother as it is very close to the due date and cannot properly enjoy the ceremony due to the cramps and other changes.
How is Baby Shower done in India?
In India, various places have there own touch of customs and traditions when performing a baby shower, but the main structure remains the same.
Traditionally, baby shower or godh bharai as in Hindi were usually celebrated by only women but, nowadays the whole family comes together and have fun throughout the function.
List of things on how baby showers are done in India:
- All close relatives, friends and neighbours are called especially members from mothers-to-be house for the ceremony are called.
- Items required for pooja are to be gathered as per tradition, like Kalash, Diya, Raw coconuts, Baby Ganesh idol.
- Sweets, fruits, dry fruits and other items are brought. Especial Red or Yellow Saree, bangles, and other jewellery for mom-to-be are also brought in from parents house.
- All Members then begin blessing the new mother-to-be and the unborn baby for their health and wellbeing. Gifts, flowers, sweets are provided as offering on new mothers lap.
- After the pooja, people gather around and take part in singing and dancing.
- You can also play some casual games like, Guess the Tummy size, Antakshari, Baby Rhymes Singing, And other guessing games like Boy or Girl, Prices of baby products in the market etc. Click to learn more
- Later guests are given some delicious foods. Click to learn more.
As the mother about to step into her motherhood journey, she needs support, blessing and encouragement from all family members, relatives and friends to help her with hard time and a movement of fun and relaxation.